30 March 2010

Ed,

I am really puzzled by Advaita's no-doer concept. I have done some experiments on my own life. I found if I just follow the life flow, I basically stay in the same course of my life. If I want to make changes in my life, I have to resort to conscious efforts. Otherwise, nothing is going to change or happen. For example, I am not a native English speaker and my career in the States suffered a lot due to poor English speaking skill. I found to alter this situation is possible, but I have to resort to massive learning efforts. If no-doer concept is correct and a person adopts it, he is not going to be able to tackle the situation similar to mine.


Namatse,

J

 RESPONSE:

You speak in terms of worldly knowledge. What I teach is entirely beyond the world and human knowledge. I talk about living in the Godhead, totally beyond the world and humanity.

In spirituality, we are not talking about how to have a better life, more friends, better marriage, etc., we are talking about going entirely beyond the world.

Therefore, if you want to stay in the world with a better life, stay far away from spirituality.

Nor do I agree with the Neo Advaitins that no spiritual effort is necessary. It is. It takes a long abiding in the I Am, in the totality of consciousness to go beyond consciousness. Robert, Ramana, Nisargadatta, all emphasized self-inquiry in order to awaken.

However, when it is all said and done, you will find there never was any effort, or anyone making an effort.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment