20 January 2007

Ed,
After a first read through most of the site I just wish I could
hang out with you a bit rather than do email. In any case, It might be
good to tell you a few things to set the frame for later questions.
For many years I was intensely involved in Siddha Yoga but
eventually left it. I didn't miss what you had to say about Muktananda, and
I understand and accept the perspective as probably true. But for
me, there was that power that promised transformation. It existed
and that's all I knew directly. The promise did not quite live up to
expectations, granted. In fact, ironically, my first shaktipat
experience was more dramatic than almost anything that happened later.
Do you have any thoughts about any of this, Ed?
Thanks, by the way, for sharing all of that information about
Robert. Just knowing such people exist is helpful.
John

-------------------------------------------------
Ed wrote:
I found Muktananda to be superficial. Muktananda et
al emphasized experiences, Robert and I, n-experience.
Ed

Dear Ed,

My last girlfiriend before marriage used to fly down from New York
to Sedona once a year to be with Lester Levenson who created the
Sedona Method. I've got a bunch of recorded talks that the ex brought
back with her. But I just didn't feel a pull. There seemed to be a
big emphasis on things like "financial abundance," which even now
on their website is at the top of the list of things that can come
from the method.

Ed wrote:

The use the sales technique to sell themselves and make a living.
They would never make a living on seekers alone. The technique is
not bad at all, but I think the followers have to let go of letting
go as a technique.

----------------------------------------------------------
John wrote:

Since my orientation has always been yogic, it might be a fair
question to ask if I have any sense at all of what you're really
talking about. Maybe only in a negative way, in feeling some
disatisfaction with that whole pursuit. Well, let's put it this way, what I do
understand is what you and Robert are up to is something of a
different order from that kundalini yoga path and that it's important
not to confuse the two.

Ed wrote:

Absolutely. Kundalini is about body, energy and experiences. Jnana
is about finding that which preceeds all experiences and the body
itself. That is, finding your unborn nature. Like apples vs.
mountains (or tablewear for that matter).

John wrote:

How meaningfully you can get to know somebody this way is
debatable, but its better than nothing. Maybe you have super powers and can
extract a hologram of my entire life from my words. I used to
believe that gurus had that ability.

Ed wrote:

If I had the super powers I'd be too lazy to use them except to
make money gambling or the stock market so I didn't have to do
anything anymore.
Ed

John wrote:

Ed,
I just got up from meditation. Lately I've been going into it
holding some essence of you and Robert in my mind's eye. Af first
there's a kind of opening into stillness or neutrality, but then the
shakti rushes into that space with more voltage then I've felt in
years. It occilates back and forth like this - a brief moment of
stillness then a lot of movement. It's like there is some internal
switching point I've just become aware of that maybe would lead into
silence but as soon as I find it.. zap! Epilepsy.

Ed wrote:

Hi John,

Interesting phenomena, I've never experienced that. But, it means
nothing. It will pass. It is temporary and has nothing to do with
your task.

Just feel for your sense of existence, not of the body, but of you,
and attend to that.

This is really a quite subtle exercise, but the Self is subtle and
quiet. Stay there.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment